Thursday 6 December 2007

James Haskell - Part Two


James Haskell has had a varied and exciting career and he is still only 22. Today I ask him about his experiences with the Barbarians and the England Sevens Squad as well as his relationship with Matt Hampson.

Last year James played for an England XV against the Barbarians.

“It was my first real taste of being involved with England, I really enjoyed it.”

“It was a weird weekend, I was in Amsterdam playing Samurai Sevens, in a tournament we won, and I got a call saying ‘listen we want you to be involved in the England team against the barbarians’, I thought it’s a wind up”

“It was a great thing to play at Twickenham with an England squad playing against a team that had a lot of talent, I would love to do it again, whether it was for the Barbarians or England.”

Following the recent controversy with Premiership players being denied the chance to play for the Baa Baas I asked James what he thought of the situation.

“I think it’s disappointing, the Baa Baas will lose their mystique, they will struggle.”

“However, clubs can’t afford to have these players missing, results are so important, because at the end of the day it’s a business I do understand both points of view.”

Sevens

The Barbarians are famous for playing champagne rugby, as style of play which also makes the IRB Sevens Series so exciting.

“I really enjoy sevens, I think it has a really important role. I can see the benefits from working with Phil Greening and Mike Friday, it was invaluable, it helped my game 10 fold”

Although he does admit it has its limitations as far as developing the 15-man game

“I don’t think going to every game would be good for me, but I would like to get a tournament under my belt every season, keep things ticking over. I think it helps you as a rugby player, but it can detract a bit from 15s.”

And as far as future opportunities in 7s go James understands it’s not all in his hands.

“I have spoken to them (Wasps) but I’m not sure they would let me go yet, but I’m sure if I don’t play very well they might boot me out!”

Matt Hampson Trust

As well as all of James’ rugby exploits he also finds time to support the Matt Hampson Trust.

Following the collapse of scrum during England U21 training in 2005 Hampson tragically became a quadriplegic.

However the support he has been given by those in the game has been phenomenal.

“I was obviously there, at the time, playing in the scrum when he hurt himself.”

“I think, its very easy at this time of life to not except your own mortality, and not appreciate what opportunities you have and how lucky you are.”

“I speak to Matt all the time, he so positive about lots of things.”

“If I was in a similar circumstance I wouldn’t be as strong or brave, it’s made me see more of my character, and its puts a perspective on things.”

“Hopefully if I could show half the courage and determination he’s got then I will be able to go a long way.”


This is Part Two of my interview with James Haskell. Tomorrow – Haskell on his future in the England team and the players and coaches who have helped him along the way.

No comments: